Jewish date: 11 Nisan 5770 (Parashath Ṣaw).
Today’s quasi-holidays: Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, Spinach Festival Day.
NOTE: In observance of Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, I hereby declare the making up of Metric Mitochondria Day, celebrating those symbionts without which we could not exist. The first Metric Mitochondria Day will be celebrated April 16, 2010, with subsequent celebrations every 100 days.
Worthy causes of the day: “Repower America | We got next”, “Take Action: Send Congress Your State's Invoice for Foodborne Illness.”, and “MoveOn.org Political Action: Republican Leaders: Condemn the hate”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “A star buzzing through the outer solar system? Bring it on”: In 1,500,000 years we may have a problem.
- “Government 'a Counting: Does the U.S. Census Need a 21st-Century Makeover?”
- “H1N1 shares key similar structures to 1918 flu, providing research avenues for better vaccines”
- “No Bones about It: Ancient DNA from Siberia Hints at Previously Unknown Human Relative”
- “Child Receives Trachea Organ Transplant Created With Own Stem Cells”: I cannot make something like this up.
Enjoy, share the weirdness, and Shabbath shalom.