Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- More on the Richard Williamson scandal: Groups other than the Vatican have been taking action. (See “Holocaust-denying bishop banned in German city's churches”, “Rehabilitated bishop is silenced by sect”, and “Israel's chief rabbinate severs Vatican ties”.) The Vatican has done nothing but condemn Williamson’s Holocaust-denial, without taking the obvious step of excommunicating him again. (See “Pope Voices Support for Jews, Rejects Holocaust Denial” and “Pope tries to heal rift with Jews over Holocaust denier”.)
- “State religion”: Oklahoma’s legislature is considering a bill to erect a Ten Commandments monument on the state Capitol grounds. This dubious and pointless mixture of church and state is done in a highly transparent manner, as it is written:
Ritze's bill contains a disclaimer that "placement of this monument shall not be construed to mean that the State of Oklahoma favors any particular religion or denomination thereof over others."I have no clue how this move is supposed to benefit anyone. It fails to improve the functioning of government in any way, it is unconstitutional, and it makes its opponents more hostile. Someone please tell the Oklahoma Supreme Court to squelch this nonsense before it wastes any more time and effort...
That won't fool anyone, advocate or opponent of the bill. It clearly is intended to recognize tenets of the Christian Bible as being pre-eminent. And it is a slap in the face to citizens of religions other than Christian or Jewish who, while clearly in the minority, deserve the protection, not the tyranny, of the majority.
- And yet more attempts to suppress freedom of religion, now with extra lameness: “AZERBAIJAN: Unregistered worship 'illegal' - but under what law?” and “Kazakhstan launches attack on religion”.
- Even more self-promotion: 2009 Darwin Week in Charleston | February 08-15. See me on the 10th and find out why Ben Stein’s Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is bad propaganda.
- “TV Election Ads (1988)”
- “Cows with names make more milk”
- “Exoplanet Sees Extreme Heat Waves”
- “Like a Guest That Won't Leave, BPA Lingers in the Human Body”“Democratic accountability in Gaza”
- “More Data on Vaccine Safety Amid New Outbreaks”
- “Restaurant workers tell boss: It's on the house”
- “Fla. couple pick up their cloned yellow lab puppy”: This sort of thing was inevitable. Expect more cloned pets in the future.
- “Horning In on Triceratops”
- “The Serious Need for Play”
- “Removing Roads and Traffic Lights Speeds Urban Travel”