Worthy causes of the day: “Tell Congress to Make Green Jobs a Stimulus Priority”, “Welcome back your members of Congress (Tell them we can’t fix our economy if we don’t fix health care)”, and “Tell the Senate: Support equal pay for women.”
Please also note President Elect Obama’s Citizen's Briefing Book, where people can submit their ideas for better government and weigh in on other people’s ideas.
And since today is Personal Firewall Day, please remember to make sure your firewall is on to keep viruses and other malware out. In Mac OS X 10.4, you can activate your firewall from the Sharing preference pane. Under Mac OS X 10.5, the firewall can be activated from the Security preference pane. If you use a different operating system or need further help, please contact your local technical support person or E-mail me.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- Recently I watched Inherit the Wind (1960 version), a dramatization of the Scopes Trial. I have to look into how historically accurate the movie and original play are at some point, but in the meantime, I would like to note something that keeps bugging me. The Christian creationists are depicted as singing “Old Time Religion”, claiming that since “that old time religion” was good enough for several Biblical figures, it is good enough for them. The part that bugs me is that all the people mentioned (Jonah, David, the Hebrew children) are Jews from the Hebrew Bible. If Judaism is good enough for them, why are they Christians?
- “China to celebrate Dalai Lama's exit from Tibet with a public holiday”: Yeah, like this is really going to convince anyone that the Dalai Lama is a horrible person. If we had special generally recognized punctuation for sarcasm, that last sentence would have had at least three sarcasm marks after it.
- “Yangon, dictatorship closes Christian and Muslim houses of prayer”, “KYRGYZSTAN: President's signing of restrictive Religion Law condemned”, and “UZBEKISTAN: Children and parents threatened for attending places of worship”: Three governments show they have no respect for freedom of religion.
- “Protests erupt over Maoist appointments at Nepal temple”: This is what happens when anyone tries to dictate someone else’s religion to them: they refuse to accept it.
- “the Y2K Bug (1999)”
- “Can a good night's sleep prevent a cold?”
- “Australia, land of two-headed fish”: I cannot make something like this up.
- “Galileo wasn’t the first to the Moon”
- “Pterodactyls' Ptough Ptakeoffs”
- “Repairing a hut, Antarctic-style: mind the seals”
- “20 Worst Foods in America, 2009”: Submitted by Barry. I am so glad I keep kasher and cannot eat stuff like this.