Worthy causes of the day: “ Protect the Arctic from Industrial Fishing”, “Keep Loaded Guns Out of Our National Parks”, and “Support the Unplanned Pregnancy Prevention Bill”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “"No God" bus ads banned in Italian city”: As it is written:
Italian atheists have lost a bid to run "no God" advertisements on city buses after strong opposition from conservative political parties, a member of the group said on Saturday.
The ads reading "The bad news is that God doesn't exist. The good news is that you don't need him" were to have been put on buses in the northern city of Genoa, home to the Catholic cardinal who is head of the Italian Bishops Conference.My (sarcastic) comment on the ad text: No God? ARGH! All life is totally meaningless! There’s no afterlife, and all life is going to end in dismal oblivion! What a horrible, horrible situation! How the gezornenblat are we going to handle something so terrible? How can we possibly not need a god to get us out of such a situation?
Major rule: One person’s good news is another person’s bad news. Also: Bus ads are too short to make convincing arguments.
- A very different sort of bad idea: “Lithuanian firm hires witch to hunt debt dodgers”: You know, I would be willing to do nothing useful to collect debts for half of what the witch is charging...
- “Can a simple checklist prevent surgical errors?”
- “Historic NYC diner will get hauled to Alabama”
- “New study: Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are genetically linked”
- “Combating the Rising Cost of Heating Your Home”
- “Bailed-Out Firms Have Offshore Tax Havens, GAO Report Finds”
- “How to save $225 million dollars”
- “Bush: Gray wolves aren't endangered any more”: Shame on Bush!
- “Shoplifter gets run over twice by her getaway car”: Interesting variant on poetic justice.
- “What Your Supermarket Won't Tell You”