Jewish date: 26 Tammuz 5770 (Parashath Maṭṭoth-Mas‘e).
Today’s quasi-holiday: Video Games Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “End Childhood Hunger in America! - The Petition Site”, “ONE | Path to 2015”, “Protect Against New Drilling - The Petition Site”, and “BPMakesMeSick.com”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Tourists get ready for simulated kidnapping”: I cannot make something like this up.
- “The proton shrinks in size”
- “Wut? There were Lolcats in teh 1800s?!”
- “Science, mathematics: Physics major has a name for a really big number”: He thinks the official SI prefix for 1027 should be “hella-”. It is definitely no more silly than “googol” for 10100 and “googolplex” for 1010100. Personally I would like to see “zilo-” (from “zillion”) for an arbitrarily large amount and “zicro-” for an arbitrarily small amount.
- “Square Pixel Inventor Tries to Smooth Things Out”
Image via WikipediaToday’s weird thing is the USB Robot Owl, which is something in the way of a robotic pet which can perch on top of your laptop. Enjoy and share the weirdness.