Jewish date: 25 Nisan 5769.
Today’s holidays: Day 10 of the ‘Omer, Orthodox Easter Sunday/Pascha.
Today’s quasi-holidays: National Hanging Out Day.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Afghan women attacked for protesting marriage law”: (Submitted by Barry.) Thus it is written:
Dozens of young women braved crowds of bearded men screaming "dogs!" on Wednesday to protest an Afghan law that lets husbands demand sex from their wives. Some of the men picked up small stones and pelted the women. "Slaves of the Christians!" chanted the 800 or so counter-demonstrators, a mix of men and women. A line of female police officers locked hands to keep the groups apart.I will leave the question of whether Shi‘ite Islam actually allows husbands to rape their wives to experts on Islamic law, though clearly there are Shi‘ites who believe it does. However, this is a government intrusion into freedom of religion. Furthermore, note a lot of blame for opposition to the law being placed on “Christians” and “foreigners”. While there is a lot of international opposition, some people for the law do not seem to understand or refuse to accept the idea that Shi‘ite women (and even men) on their own might not approve of the law treating women like second-class citizens.
- “In Vermont gay marriage law, a hidden victory for religious freedom”: Keep in mind that freedom of religion has to work two ways in order to be fair: the freedom to follow one’s own beliefs and—what some forget—the freedom of other people to follow their beliefs. Just because one has the freedom to do something does not mean other people have to approve or cooperate. Other people have freedom of religion, too, and that has to be protected as well.
- More having trouble with freedom of religion: “Cuba keeps out US religious freedom group” and “The Free World Bars Free Speech”.
- Yet another joke religion: “Scottish police say their religion is Jedi”.
- “Spammers be damned: Junk e-mail is a huge waste of energy”
- “Ala. coffee shop customers pick up other's tabs”: This is beautiful.
- “The Great Recession: America Becomes Thrift Nation”: Submitted by Barry.
- “Stephen Colbert gets consolation namesake prize from NASA”
- “The Mind-Body Problem”
- “Should You Run or Freeze When You See a Mountain Lion”
- “The Royal Society is no match for these three”: This article is very sarcastic, but the argument is sound: the fact that someone is a celebrity is not in and of itself a reason to believe that he/she knows anything about medicine or science.
- “Diabetics insulin-free after stem-cell transplants”
- “Baby pythons escape during flight in Australia”: Submitted by Barry.
Apparently everyone is looking for a job these days. (Hint, hint, prospective employers.) Enjoy and share the weirdness.