Jewish date: 4 Tishri 5770.
Today’s quasi-holidays: Elephant Day, Dear Diary Day, International Car Free Day, International Dadaism Month.
Worthy cause of the day: Urge your Senators to Protect the EPA’s Ability to Curb Global Warming Pollution.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “COBOL turns 50”: Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. COBOL is a language which gets only a bit more respect than BASIC.
- “Neil Armstrong isn't worthy of Texas textbooks?”
- “How torture may inhibit accurate confessions”
- “Mooo-ve that manure: Agricultural runoff a spreading public health issue”
- “Cursive writing may be fading skill, but so what?”
- “Animal Oddities”: Submitted by Barry. Anything which can go wrong in biology will go wrong. This includes the genes in snakes which suppress the development of limbs.
- “Thesis comes to life in cardboard computer case”
- “Shirtmaker designs tie for your iPod”
- “How to read articles about health and healthcare”
- “Lack of insurance causes more than 44,000 U.S. deaths annually, study says”
- “Tiny tyrannosaur had all the trappings of T. rex”