Jewish date: 18 Tammuz 5770 (Parashath Pineḥas).
Today’s quasi-holiday: Leap Second Adjustment Time.
Worthy causes of the day: “Save dairy farms from big agribusiness”, “Alliance for Justice: Tell Congress: Repair the Damage Caused by the Corporate Court”, and “Make Sale of Crush Videos Illegal Again!”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “What happens when coal is gone?”: This is a very serious question which needs to be dealt with. There is only a finite amount of coal on this planet, and unless it is being created a lot faster than anyone seems to be suggesting these days, we will run out of it sooner or later. This is regardless of such issues as global warming and pollution.
- “Climate Change May Exacerbate Hot Cities”: Also a big problem. Last I heard, more than half of all humans on the planet live in cities.
- “Strength in naughty or nice”
- “Too Much Salt Eaten by Almost Everyone”
- “What McChrystal’s Firing Says about American Values”
- “Shifty Science: Programmable Matter Takes Shape with Self-Folding Origami Sheets”
Image of something like today’s weird thing, only with a different subject matter, via WikipediaToday’s weird thing is “Pac Man Amigurumi!”, which is knitted or crocheted stuffed Pac-Man and ghosts. Enjoy and share the weirdness.