Image via WikipediaGreetings.
Jewish date: 8 Tammuz 5770 (Parashath Balaq).
Today’s quasi-holidays: Father’s Day, World Refugee Day (UN), Ice Cream Soda Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “End Violence Against Women - The Petition Site”, “Friends of the Earth U.S.”, “Action at Oil Change”, “Obama, Say No To Commercial Whaling! - The Petition Site”, “ONE | 3.5 Million Healthworkers Needed”, “Support Women's Health with the Global MOMS Act - The Petition Site”, “Please Include the Temple Mount in the Heritage Plan - אנא הוסף את הר הבית לרשימת אתרי המורשת Petition”, “Working Families » Take Action!”, and “What President Obama should have said.”
Today’s news and commentary:
- “The Living Matrix: A Movie Promoting Energy Medicine Beliefs”
- “How We Fool Ourselves Over and Over”
- “White rice raises risk of type 2 diabetes”
- “Real names of 23 fictional characters”
- “10 Things the Internet has Ruined and Five Things it Hasn't”
- “WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire”
- “The Real Science Gap”, which is described as “It’s not insufficient schooling or a shortage of scientists. It’s a lack of job opportunities. Americans need the reasonable hope that spending their youth preparing to do science will provide a satisfactory career.”
- “Fact or Fiction: The Days (and Nights) Are Getting Longer”
- “Solar Powered Shrub Car is Not Your "Garden Variety" EV”
- “Climate already helping disease spread north: study”
- “The brain thinks hands are wider and stubbier than they actually are”
- “Were some gigantic Jurassic sea creatures warm-blooded?”
Enjoy and share the weirdness.