Update on a previously mentioned story: “Men Who Claimed to Find Treasure Arrested”
Good news for today: Mac OS X 10.4 (“Tiger”) is being released today amid rave reviews. (Drool, drool, drool...)
Bad news for today: Apparently the Finder still sucks and Mail was beaten silly with an ugly stick. (You’d think they’d take a hint, dump Aqua, and restore the NEXTSTEP interface...) Also, I don’t have the cash for it in my budget and am currently scheming how to come up with it or at least get Mac OS X 10.4 for less. (And I know about the rebate Amazon is offering already.) People who feel amazingly generous and wish to donate to the Upgrade Aaron’s Computer Fund may do so, preferably before the psychoactive drugs wear off.
Worse news for today: The movie version of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy opens today. Considering the commentary Marvin the Paranoid Android has donated to this blog, this is really bad.
Worst news for today:
- Congress has passed a budget that cuts Medicaid, completely ignoring the alternative of raising taxes for the very rich. (The GOP’s motto these days seems to be “Kick the poor when they’re down.”)
- Iran is committed to developing nuclear weapons while saying it just wants nuclear power stations. Jihad 1, diplomacy 0. If I were a gambling man, I would start taking bets on how soon Israel bombs the Iranian nuclear weapons program out of existence.
- Not a whole lot is being done to prevent preventable diseases in Africa.
- Terror attacks globally in 2004 occured at three times the rate they did in 2003. When this was pointed out to George W. Bush last night, in flat contradiction to the mantra “we are winning the war on terror”, his few remaining functional brain cells burst into flame, and smoke came out of the back of his head.
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency as a comic (incomplete)
- h2g2 (on-line encyclopedia)
- Starship Titanic | The Novel (with an interesting catch)
- BBC - Radio 4 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy