Tuesday, April 24, 2007

‪ו׳ אייר תשס״ז * 24 April 2007: כ״א בעומר/Astronomy Day/24 Hour Comics Day/Plumber’s Day

Greetings.

Today’s news and commentary:As many of you know, I got a new MacBook Pro recently. One thing I was curious about was what what my disk space was being used for, having only about 40 gigabytes free, and it turned out there were 2.49 gigabytes of sounds in

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Apple Loops for GarageBand/

and

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/

Yes, Apple is giving away a ridiculous number of free sounds with new computers. Since I do not use iLife, and I am not likely to do much with GarageBand (except perhaps change the instruments in MIDI files into absurdly inappropriate choices), I had to come up with something to do with them. I therefore have started using them for beep sounds and incorporating playing them into scripts. I may utilize them next Purim during the Meghillah reading. Go forth and see what sorts of noise is on your computer!

Note: I recommend using Play Sound to play the sounds. iTunes will do the job, too, though. Also note that many of the sounds are too long to used sanely as beeps.

Enjoy, share the weirdness, and go forth and make a lot of noise.

Aaron

No comments: