Image which Zemata thought was relevant for no apparent reason via WikipediaGreetings.
Jewish date: 7 ’Adhar 5770 (Parashath Teṣawweh).
Today’s quasi-holiday: International Mother Language Day (UN).
NOTE: In celebration of today’s quasi-holiday, this blog will be in my mother language: English.
Worthy cause of the day: “Tell Obama Not to Abandon the Employee Free Choice Act!”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Free IHOP Pancakes on National Pancake Day”: This may be of interest to our non-Jewish readers.
- “You can’t resolve away climate change”: The absurdity of the Utah legislators passing a resolution against global warming has spread to South Dakota. Major rule: physical reality is what it is, no matter what governments or anyone else want it to be. People who do not understand this are too dangerous to put in office, since they will work against solving real problems whenever these problems clash with their preconceptions. I therefore strongly recommend voting against everyone who denies reality.
- “Life-like evolution in a test tube”: Did anyone really not expect this to happen eventually?
- “Rom Houben: Not communicating through facilitated communication”
- “Beyond the sugar pill: Are doctors misusing the placebo effect?”
- “Untreated vision problems linked to dementia in the elderly”
- “Cat food latest weapon against Australia's cane toads”: I cannot make something like this up.
Like all nontrivial predictions of the future, do not expect things to actually turn out this way. Though certainly parts of it are a distinct, scary possibility. Enjoy (or be scared or something) and share the weirdness.