Jewish date: 30 ’Av 5770 (Parashath Shofeṭim).
Today’s quasi-holiday: National Duran Duran Appreciation Day. (Don’t ask me. I don’t come up with (most of) these quasi-holidays. I just report them.)
Worthy causes of the day: “Tell the Obama administration we need more protection from for-profit education rip-offs!”, “Tell the FCC: It's up to you, not Google and Verizon, to regulate the Internet”, and “MoveOn.org Political Action: Stop Social Security Cuts”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Where Did the Carter White House's Solar Panels Go?”: Thank you, Ronald Reagan, for your retrograde energy policy.
- “Inside Google Books: Books of the world, stand up and be counted! All 129,864,880 of you.”
- “Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S. Midwest”: This is not as scary as it might sound.
- “Tiny fish evolved to tolerate colder temperature in three years, study finds”
- “Stephen Hawking's Warning: Abandon Earth—Or Face Extinction”
- “Huge ice island calves off Greenland glacier”
Not quite tautological, but close to it. Enjoy and share the weirdness.