Jewish date: 2 ’Elul 5770 (Parashath Shofeṭim).
Today’s quasi-holidays: Vinyl Record Day, International Youth Day.
Worthy cause of the day: “ColorOfChange.org: FCC: Say NO to Google and Verizon / Demand the FCC do its job and protect the open Internet”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “How Star Trek artists imagined the iPad... 23 years ago”
- “Congress About To Pass 'The ______Act of____' (These Are The People We Elect?)”: I really hope this is a hoax.
- “God's Number is 20”: (Submitted by Barry.) Someone has proved that it takes no more than 20 turns to solve Rubik’s Cube.
- “Vending Machines Of The Future” and “Smart vending machines in Tokyo train station recognize age, sex”
- “Ancient Cut Marks Reveal Far Earlier Origin of Butchery”
- “Touchscreens open to smudge attacks”: I cannot make this sort of thing up, though there is some sense to the idea.
- “A Man, A Plan And A Sharpie: 'The Great Typo Hunt'”
Enjoy and share the weirdness.