Jewish date: 3 Shevaṭ 5770 (Parashath Bo’).
Today’s quasi-holidays: Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Pooh Day, Jazz Day, Marathon Monday.
Worthy cause of the day: “Require Comprehensive Background Checks for All Paid Child Care Providers”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “What Clown on a Unicycle? Studying Cellphone Distraction”, “Driven to Distraction - Pedestrians, Too, Are Distracted by Cellphones”, and “Driven to Distraction - Pedestrians, Too, Are Distracted by Cellphones”
- “Haitian Earthquake”
- “Medical Stats: Not Always What They Seem”
- “Sea Slug Steals Genes For Greens, Makes Chlorophyll Like A Plant”
- “Hale and Harmful: Are the Healthful Effects of Riding a Bike on City Streets Ruined by Inhaled Pollutants?”
- “Amazing Striped Icebergs”
- “Strange Lava World Is Shriveled Remains of Former Self”
Image of a zombie via WikipediaToday’s weird thing is “Introducing Zombie Insurance”, which lays out a practical plan for how to survive a zombie attack. Those who find the notion of zombies makes them queasy may prefer to look at “70 Cutie Baby Animals Bring You a Good Mood” instead. Enjoy and share the weirdness.