Thursday, January 28, 2010

Down with the iPad! Long live the Modbook!

Greetings.

Jewish date:  13 Shevaṭ 5770 (Parashath BeShallaḥ).

Today’s quasi-holidays:  National Kazoo Day, Rattle Snake Round-Up Day.


Today’s news and commentary:
Photo of the Axiotron Modbook in container box.Image via Wikipedia
By now you should have heard about Apple’s iPad, introduced yesterday.  I am disappointed with what they have produced.  The iPad is essentially a big-screen iPod, something which I neither need nor want.  What I want for my next computer is a tablet version of the MacBook Pro (my current computer).  I do not want a tightly-controlled iPhone OS device unless it is to use it as a telephone; I most certainly am not going to buy one of these things to read books on.  What I do want is a Mac OS X device I can do whatever the gezornenblat I want on it without anyone else’s approval; this includes a lot more than just reading books.  What is really annoying is that the technology for a tablet MacBook is not something limited to Star Trek; it exists here and now.  In protest of the iPad, today’s weird awesome things are the real-life tablet MacBooks, the Modbook and Modbook Pro.  Apple should buy these people out or license their technology and make Modbooks instead of iPads.

Note:  Apple can be contacted at their Website Feedback page.  Axiotron, makers of the Modbook, can be contacted at their own Website Feedback page.

Enjoy and share the weirdness awesomeness.

Aaron
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: