Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Weird thing of the day 24 January 2005/15 Shevat 5765 (National Peanut Butter Day)

Greetings.

Never-ending weird political coverage: Norwegians think George W. Bush saluted Satan during the presidential inauguration. (I cannot make stuff like this up.)

Today’s weird thing is the BBC News article “'I don't like Monday 24 January'”. which claims that January 24 is the worst day of the year. I’m not sure how correct this is, though today was not good for me since I was zonked from not sleeping well for the second night in a row. Barry is going to complain about some of the measures used in the formula as not being objectively measurable or, worse, being purely “cognitive”.

If Barry’s really unhappy with my choice for today’s weird thing, I suppose the old Cooper River Bridges will do. I drove over both of them very recently (on the way to and back from this past weekend’s BSBI Shabbathon), and they are so insanely narrow that I was thrilled to be stuck behind a slowpoke, thus reducing my chances of accidentally crashing through the paper-thin barriers on either side of the roadway and plunging 5,000 meters into the Cooper River, where I would be consumed by hungry sharks. The lunatics speeding through the other lane in oversized SUVs at 50 miles per hour above the speed limit with 2 millimeters of room to spare (total for both sides) added an especially terrifying touch. About three-quarters of drivers managing to get off the bridges alive leap from their cars and kiss the ground. The only thing more insane than the current bridges is what they are replacing them with, but that’s a different rant.

Enjoy.

Aaron

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re:cooper river bridges...I think that one is not a true charleston driver till one has crossed them white-knuckled. I took some driving classes and the first time we went over the skinny one, I told the instructor how nervous I was. In the middle (you know, that little emergency-pull-over place where you have half a second of the experience of having SPACE on your sides), she said something like "Now that wasn't so bad, was it?" And I couldn't even answer because I wasn't really breathing and my hands were hurting from holding the steering wheel for dear life.

Anyone got any Cooper River Bridge stories?
Anyone agree with me that the big one isn't so bad, only the skinny one?
Anyone think I should send a suggestion for this discussion to the Post and Courier to make it citywide?

-Jessica L.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.