Monday, August 28, 2006

4 'Elul 5766 * 28 August 2006: Dissertation Defense Day

Greetings.

Not very long ago, I defended my dissertation. My committee wants me to make two small clarifications in my dissertation and some things they want in two unpublished papers, but they did let me pass. I am now Dr. Aaron Solomon Adelman. Everybody cheer! A qiddush in my honor is already planned for this Shabbath in South Windermere. (Not to mention a siyyum for my finishing Massekheth Shabbath.) I’m hoping I can actually attend them since Charleston may be hit by a hurricane then. (Sometimes I suspect HashShem has a sense of humor when it comes to coincidence.)

Today’s news and commentary:Today’s weird thing is the unusual legal case Coyote V. Acme. Enjoy.

Aaron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The poorer prognosis for free health care may not be inherent to it but a problem of regulation. Free health care may not be subject to competition, which in turn lessens selection pressures wherein patients not liking one service provider seek another. I don't see any reason why with proper quality-control measures the problem could not be fixed.

Rupert Hippo said...

You may well be right. Though it reminds me of the HMO nightmare stories we've all heard about, where some petty or downright stupid bureaucrat withholds some needed treatment on some pathetic excuse. No matter what system is being used, bureaucrats ought to be kept out of the medical decision-making process without exception. There ought to be auditors checking things after treatment to make sure no one is bilking the system, but the policy up ought to be to cover whatever the doctor says is what the patient needs and criticize his/her judgement later. Fraudulent claims can always be prosecuted after the fact, but needless deaths cannot be undone.