Wednesday, November 19, 2008

21 Marḥeshwan 5769: “Have a Bad Day” Day

Greetings.

Worthy causes of the day: “Help Sexually Assaulted Women in the Military Find Justice”, “President-Elect Obama - NOW is the time to remedy 8 years of failed women's health policies” (I am not crazy about abortion, but it is unfortunately sometimes necessary, and the government should not be interfering with it when it is), and “Stop the Bush/Cheney 11th-Hour Assault on Wolves in Greater Yellowstone and the Northern Rockies!”

Relevant to Divine Misconceptions (sort of):  I would like to note that a week ago I went to K-Mart to fill a prescription for a bacterial respiratory infection.  While I was waiting half an hour for my prescription, I went to the book section, where I spent most of my time there reading a New Thought book which I will not name here because Google AdSense will show bad sense and give a bunch of advertisements related to it, which I do not want, given the work’s abysmal quality.  But I digress.  Besides the New Thought travesty and a variety of other sorts of books, there were a number of books which intuition insisted were Amish romance novels, which struck me as very odd since “Amish” and “romance” are two words which one rarely hears in the same sentence.  Being a guy, I did not bother to examine the books there.  (Guys do not read romance novels, especially in public!)  However, some digging by Barry revealed the identities of two of them, The Parting and The Bishop’s Daughter, with enough information to confirm my intuition was correct.  Further reflection suggests that romance probably occurs among the Amish in real life, especially these days when the concept has spread among a large fraction (if not most) of humanity, only the matter is not much discussed.  After all, even the most paranoid factions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are wrestling with modern ideas about relationships, whether they are accepting of them or rejecting them; it seems hardly likely that the Amish are any different.  As to how accurate these books are, I have no idea, and being a guy, I am not inclined to try to find out—remember:  guys do not read romance novels—unless it somehow becomes critical to my project.

Today’s news and commentary:Today’s weird thing (if the idea of Amish romance novels was not weird enough for you) is “German Steampunk Keyboard”. Enjoy and share the weirdness.

Aaron

No comments: