Jewish date: 16 Tammuz 5769.
Today’s holiday: Wednesday of the Fourteenth Week of Ordinary Time.
Today’s quasi-holidays: Video Games Day; Savor the Comic, Unplug the Drama (SCUD) Day.
NOTE: Due to the observance of the fast of the 17th of Tammuz, there will be no weird thing tomorrow.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Vatican Radio starts carrying ads”: This is sad. During this economic downturn, even religious organizations (e.g., the Roman Catholic Church) are suffering.
- “What countermissionaries believe”: This is an insider perspective from Jewish countermissionaries. This includes the idea that we do not have to pretend that we all agree, but rather we can get along and respect each other while disagreeing. Keep in mind that almost any two people will disagree about something. If we needed to agree to get along, then no one would get along.
- Yes, I am late again in commenting on the latest episode of Kings, this time “Chapter One”. Here we return to something vaguely resembles something out of Samuel. The Charter of Gilboa is stolen. Silas, still angry over David hiding his affair with Michelle, sends David to retrieve it, with the promise that if he does so he can marry Michelle—only he gives David very little in the way of resources to do it. This resembles to some extent the task which Sha’ul set for Dawidh in order to be able to marry Mikhal: to bring him the foreskins of a large number of Pelishtim (Philistines) (I know: Ew!)—a task fraught with danger since Dawidh had to risk getting killed in battle. David, despite many hardships and to the shock of Silas, manages to complete his mission. Silas soon afterwards has David arrested on charges of treason. This is reminiscent of the fact that Sha’ul on multiple occasions tried to kill Dawidh—and if anyone doubts the resemblance, do keep in mind that governments are not famous for preserving the lives of traitors. Less resembling anything in Samuel is more of this business of trying to read “signs”, which is pointless in Samuel due the presence of prophets who give clear messages. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to finding out what happens in the next episode.
- “Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed From Data, Study Finds”: This is scary.
- “Police foil radio control zeppelin jailbreak”: This is creative.
- “Iranian Repression”