Jewish date: 28 Nisan 5770 (Parashath Thazria‘-Meṣora‘).
Today’s quasi-holidays: National Licorice Day, National Robotics Week, Look Up At The Sky Day, Yuri’s Night.
Worthy causes of the day: “Fight Climate Change From All Fronts - The Petition Site”, “Congress: Enact Fair, Ambitious and Comprehensive Climate Legislation Now - The Petition Site”, and “Take Action: Send Congress Your State's Invoice for Foodborne Illness.”.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Protecting creativity: Copyright and wrong”
- “Should Kids Be Bribed to Do Well in School?”: The title is an outright misuse of terminology. Bribes are given before desired action is performed. The article deals with rewarding children for doing well in school, in which case the children perform first and are paid afterwards. Yes, we want children to learn for the sake of learning, but as correctly noted in this article, the world of adulthood does not work so idealistically; instead, we are rewarded for performance. (Except in finance and government, which are not covered in this article.)
- “5 Axis Robot Carves Metal Like Butter (Video)”
- “Augmented reality puts the squeeze into virtual hugs”
- “Spectacular South African Skeletons Reveal New Species from Murky Period of Human Evolution”
- “What's in a name? Fly world is abuzz”
- “Costlier Cola Cuts Caloric Consumption”
Enjoy and share the weirdness.