Jewish date: 11 ’Iyyar 5770 (Parashath ’Emor).
Today’s quasi-holidays: Global Youth Service Day, ANZAC Day, World Malaria Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “Reform Immigration For America | Racial profiling? Not in our America!”, “Tell Obama to Further Support Malaria Vaccine Research - Take Action Today @ The Hunger Site”, “Friends of the Earth U.S.: Tell the Obama Administration to Reject a New Pipeline for the World's Dirtiest Oil”, “CARE: Child Marriage: A Promise of Poverty”, “Health Care for America NOW! | Demand Our $$ Spent on Health Care Not Profits”, “Take Action: TrueMajority.org: WITH WALL STREET OR WITH US?”, “Stop senseless wolf killing in our country! - The Petition Site”, “Take Action | Earth Day Network”, “Take Action: Speak out for Sudan | Save Darfur”, “MoveOn.org Political Action: We need a criminal investigation of Wall Street”, “Tell Big Banks: Party's Over - The Petition Site”, and “Close the Loophole: Help Close the Gun Show Loophole. Keep Guns Out of the Hands of Criminals.”. (My posting got put off due to working on a review of the Uplift Series, so there is a big backlog.)
Today’s news and commentary:
- “It's a microbial world”
- “China's "robot dad" aims to show inventions to world”
- “Antioxidants may not be worth their salt in preventing cancer”
- “Join The T-Party. The Mr. T-Party”: This is an interesting reaction to the modern Tea Party movement.
- “Why soldiers get a kick out of killing”
- “Britons believe the hills are alive with haggis”
- “Impacts of Climate Change Extend to Human Health”
- “Subliminal Cues Can Empty Wallets”
- “Record breaker: newest new Moon spotted!”
- “U.S. Food Still Tainted with Old Chemicals”
- “Public Health: Try the Prevent Defense”
- “The dangers of opponents of science-based medicine”
- “What Is the Memory Capacity of the Human Brain?”
- “Brain-Training Products Useless in Study”
Image of Tetris thingamajigs via WikipediaToday’s weird thing is “First Video of Lego Robot Playing Tetris”. So now instead of just humans being addicted to video games, robots are also now being subjected to wastes of time. Intuition suggests this may be a way of defeating the Machines when they try to take over. Enjoy and share the weirdness.