Sunday, October 2, 2005

28 'Elul 5765/2 October 2005

Greetings.

Seasonal note: Ro’sh hashShanah (the Jewish New Year in Tishri) and Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) are a time when we are judged by God. It is clear from the Hebrew Bible that God is eager to forgive us for our sins. If God was intent on punishing us (as some have misinterpreted the Hebrew Bible), He/She would have not bothered encouraging us to repent. Large sections of the Hebrew Bible are dedicated to noting where we have gone astray, noting what the consequences of our mistakes will be, and begging us to get it together and behave ourselves. Indeed, it is said that Yom Kippur itself brings atonement. However, God can only grant forgiveness against Him/Herself; for sins against other humans, one must seek the forgiveness of those one has wronged. I would therefore like to apologize to any of you I have sinned against and ask your forgiveness. I make mistakes regularly in many things that I do, including in how I treat other people, but I am resolved to try to improve myself, even though the road is rough and I will probably never reach the end of it. Knowing that other people are likewise imperfect, I forgive unconditionally those who have sinned against me. We are all in this world together, and maybe if we all try to be a little nicer to each other, we can make it a better place. Thank you for your attention.

Astronomy news: “Scientists Discover 10th Planet's Moon”, and in harmony with the planet being nicknamed “Xena”, they nicknamed the mood “Gabrielle”. (Go figure.)

Today’s weird thing is an article on people admitting blame, “This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump”. Let’s hope this results in better movies in the future. Enjoy.

Aaron

No comments: