Today’s news and commentary:
- UserFriendly Strip 2008-08-03
- “Ancestor of T-Rex dinosaur unearthed in Poland”
- “Snubbing Wounded Troops?” and “Obama's Celebrity Cred”
- “Fed Up by Costs, Many Grow It Alone”
- “At high pressures, inner electrons begin to affect the structure of lithium”
WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS!
Theological review of “The Shadow Out of Time”:
This story combines a lot of the themes in previously reviewed Lovecraft stories, such as paleocontact, multiple civilization throughout Terran history, and various murky things, along with the story-within-a-story technique, insufficient quantities of artifacts from past civilizations, an interesting variation on mind-swapping, and some future Terran history.
What we learn of the theology of the Cthulhu Mythos in this story is:
- The past deeds of many races—including the stars of this story, the mind-swapping time-traveling Great Race of Yith—are recorded in the Necronomicon and other occult works.
- Mythology contains fragments of the deeds of past races.
- Yithian mind-swapping, which works without swapping physical brains as well, suggests the soul is a matterless or low-matter entity independent of the brain.
- Humanity is destined to go extinct, to be followed by a race of beetle people. Some would say this says something about the importance of humanity in the grand scheme of things, assuming there is a grand scheme at all.
Theological rating: D.
Scariness rating: My pants yawned and remained on.
Coming up tomorrow: “The Haunter of the Dark”.