Worthy causes of the day: “Urge Gov. Perdue to Support Clemency for Troy Davis” and “Economic Recovery Package- Solar Stimulus”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Nurse suspended for prayer offer”: Thus is it written:
A Christian nurse from Weston-super-Mare has been suspended for offering to pray for a patient's recovery.I have trouble understanding what the complaint is about in the first place. Firstly, if someone offers to pray for you to get well, it is a sign they he/she cares about you and wants to do something extra to help. This is doubly so when the person is already doing what he/she can physically to make you feel better. At the very least, praying for someone can help make him/her feel cared for and thus make him/her feel better. Secondly, the nurse dropped the matter when the patient refused, thus eliminating any concern of lack of respect for the patient’s personal feelings or beliefs. Thirdly, reportedly the patient claimed not to be offended but was concerned that others might be. Now, given the lack of anyone actually being offended, what is the fuss about in the first place?
Community nurse Caroline Petrie, 45, says she asked an elderly woman patient during a home visit if she wanted her to say a prayer for her.
The patient complained to the health trust about Mrs Petrie who follows the Baptist faith.
She was suspended, without pay, on 17 December and will find out the outcome of her disciplinary meeting next week.
- Self-promotion: 2009 Darwin Week in Charleston | February 08-15. I have about eight pages of notes already so as to be ready for hecklers.
- “Israeli Elections”
- “Daniel Pearl and the Normalization of Evil”
- “Scorched Earth: Small, Hot Planet Found”
- “globeandmail.com: Students call space station with home-built radio”
- “Water Conservation Unwitting Mosquito Ally”
- “Face Value: Does Profiling Actually Help to Catch Terrorists?”
- “The Post-war Legal Battle”
Enjoy and share the weirdness.