Jewish date: 27 ’Iyyar 5769.
Today’s holidays: Day 42 of the ‘Omer, Ascension.
Today’s quasi-holidays: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, National Bike to Work Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “Tell Congress you want action on global warming” and “Support Clean Water and Sanitation”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “South Bend buses to carry atheist ads”: Atheists in Indiana are advertising on buses “You can be good without God.” Big deal. Yes, you might be able to be good without God, but that depends on what definition of “good” you use—which might have believing in God as a requirement—and in any case, even if one claims that one can be good without believing in God, being an atheist does not make one intrinsically more good (unless one has a moral system which makes it axiomatic that not believing in God is better than believing in God). Someone please teach atheists how to do PR, especially the obvious fact that a single sentence is a very small amount of material to work with to make a moral point.
- More persecution: “US priest killed in robbery in Guatemala”.
- More unsubstantiated accusations: “Abuse of child 'witches' on rise, aid group says”.
- “Islam Day and the Year of the Bible in America”: Um, aren’t such events an obvious violation of separation of church and state?
- More of the saga of the 13-year-old who refused chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s lymphoma on religious grounds: “Boy's mother faces arrest over chemo refusal”.
- “Ancient handle with Hebrew text found in Jerusalem”
- “Terror No Obstacle to Peace?”
- “The Rise of the Milky Way”
- “Darwinius masillae”
I have no clue what the point of this is. Other than the creator probably thinks Star Wars is better than Star Trek. Enjoy and share the weirdness.