Jewish date: 5 Siwan 5769.
Today’s holidays: Day 49 of the ‘Omer (‘Erev Shavu‘oth), Thursday of the Seventh Week of Easter.
Note: Tomorrow is Shavu‘oth, a major Jewish holiday which commemorates the Divine revelation on Mount Sinay. There will be no blog entry tomorrow. I do not stay up all night learning (the practice comes from the Zohar), so I get to be more awake than many other people tomorrow.
Today’s quasi-holidays: Slugs Return from Capistrano Day, National Hamburger Day, Whale Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “Will Your Representative Help Sea Otters?”, “Allow Seniors the Choice of Independent Living”, and “Don't Let Walmart Cut Corners on store security”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions: “How Bad Is The Day School Crisis?”: Something that has to be resolved. Jewish children need a good Jewish education, but the costs have to be something that parents can afford.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Could water in a dog's bowl + sunshine start a fire?”
- “Pink dolphin a standout in La. shipping channel”
- “Next generation: Glowing transgenic monkeys”
- “Professor Steven Chu: paint the world white to fight global warming”: I feel embarrassed that part of the solution to global warming could be in retrospect so blatantly obvious.
- “10 News photos that took retouching too far”