Jewish date: 16 ’Iyyar 5769.
Today’s holidays: Day 31 of the ‘Omer, Fifth Sunday of Easter.
Today’s quasi-holidays: Mother’s Day, Golden Spike Day.
Worthy causes of the day: “Support the EPA's Stand Against Big Oil and Coal” and The Big Read.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Witch hunts, murder and evil in Papua New Guinea”: This is indecent: people being killed with neither trial nor even a solid basis for believing they are an imminent danger to anyone else. And the government is not putting the resources into stopping this travesty of justice.
- More governmental religious intolerance: “Devout Hindu loses cremation bid” and “Somalia: Kenyan Pastor Beaten At Somaliland Border”.
- This looks like an attempt to defuse free publicity for Angels and Demons before it happens: “Demons 'harmless', says Vatican”.
- “Archbishop says Obama advancing anti-life agenda”: With all respect due to Archbishop Raymond Burke, never has there been a truly “anti-life” or “anti-family” politician. When was the last time anyone saw a politician give a speech praising abortion or condemning families? We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not to dictate the opinions of other people.
- “Commandments bill passes”: The Capitol of Oklahoma is getting a Ten Commandments monument. Critics are right in condemning this as a violation of separation of church and state.
- “Montreal Metro Issues Photo Gaffe Clarification”
- “Why don't trees lean toward the equator?”
- “Giant spiders invade Australian Outback town”