Jewish date: 9 ’Iyyar 5769.
Today’s holidays: Day 24 of the ‘Omer, Fourth Sunday of Easter.
Today’s quasi-holidays: World Press Freedom Day, National Two Different Colored Shoes Day.
Worthy cause of the day: “Tell Congress to stop coal companies from using mountain streams as waste dumps.”
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- Very sensible: “Worship sites seek to keep the faithful flu-free”.
- Very disturbing: “Commission Names 13 Countries as Religious Freedom Violators”, “Taliban demolishes 11 homes of Sikh community”
- Very incoherent and paranoid: “Swine Flu: God's Mercy Running Raw”: It should go without saying that saying known lies about someone, such as claiming that Barack Obama is a Muslim, and making serious accusations without the least shred of evidence is itself a dialectic faux pas. A good argument cannot be built on false premises. However, claiming that Obama is “Marxist Muslim”, a combination which is inherently contradictory, is an insult to both Obama’s intelligence and the reader’s.
- Yet another incidence of extralegal witchcraft paranoia: “Couple killed over witchcraft claims”. Remember: never kill anyone extralegally in a non-emergency situation! You may kill someone innocent. When was a trial where anyone was proved to have committed magic? When was it proved that the magic actually could hurt anyone? When was it proved that any magic actually hurt anyone?
- Very embarrassing to the wrong people: “Inside the cult, scientology”:
- Very paranoid and foolish: “Religious sect slams brakes on anti-polio drive”.
- “Pa. township has all it street signs stolen”
- “Will Egypt's plans to kill pigs protect it from swine flu -- sorry, H1N1 flu?”
- “5 Ways to Protect Yourself (and Others) from Swine Flu”
Enjoy and share the weirdness.