Worthy causes of the day: “Speak out against Congress’s flawed overfishing proposal” and “Help Save Troy Anthony Davis' Life”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Avast, Ye Salty Dogs!”: Friday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day. This article notes that there are some conservative Christians are offended by this quasi-holiday. Arguably they are right to do so. Yes, I know International Talk Like a Pirate Day is completely unserious, but pirates are by definition engaged in illegal and immoral activity. Why is anyone glorifying and celebrating them?
- “Granbury resident sees something satanic in team's pirate flag”: I have no idea what said resident is thinking. It is not too hard to argue that the Jolly Roger is a symbol of evil, but calling it “satanic” is rather a stretch.
- “Iran: No hostility to Israeli people”: I cannot make this up. To quote:
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that while he opposes the state of Israel, his enmity doesn't extend to the Israeli people.Let us think about this rationally. Everyone knows Ahmadinejad has repeatedly threatened to obliterate the State of Israel and is working on nuclear weapons to make this possible. Anyone who believes this is consistent with lack of enmity towards the people of Israel, stand on your heads. The obviousness of the contradiction is such that Mashai retracted this claim. (See “Iran VP retracts comment on Israelis”.)
Ahmadinejad made the remarks in defense of Esfandiar Rahim Mashai, Iran's vice president for tourism, who raised a furor among Iranian lawmakers and clerics when he said Iran was a friend of the Israeli people, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Friday.
- “Clean-Coal Debut in Germany” (I am still not holding my breath. Even if it does work, all it does is postpone the day when we run out of fossil fuel. It also has the problem that while we may have plenty of coal in the United States, we have to tear up a lot of land to get at it. This is itself a major environmental problem. My vote is still for solar and wind power.)
- “Dwarf Planet Named for Hawaiian Goddess ”
- “John McCain's hot air” and “YouTube - McCain's Green Economy: Drill, Baby, Drill”
(Yes, McCain’s pants are on fire.)
- “Most Massive Star in Class By Itself ”
- “SoCal officials to pave over music-making asphalt”. (Curious about this road, I looked up a few videos on YouTube:
Strangely enough, the road sounds rather off.)
- “"Popular Vote" Claims Just A Myth” (Good point.)
- “The corporate financiers are wrong”
- “Report: Voting problems in several swing states”
- “Tow trucks parade through NYC in world record bid”
- “Is Your Next Language COBOL?” (I am scared. COBOL was a language nobody liked when I was a computer science undergraduate. Now I am wondering whether I should learn COBOL as a means of getting a job. There is even a version which runs on Mac OS X.)
- “Your Candidates. Your Health” (Potentially useful resource.)
- “Sarah Palin goes the way of Paris Hilton” (Not quite what it sounds like.)