Worthy causes of the day: “Urge Clemency for Troy Davis”, and “Stand up for community organizing”, and “Reject the Bush/Cheney Offshore Oil Scheme”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions: I was disappointed with John McCain’s speech last night at the Republican National Convention. He started off sounding reconciliatory, even admitting some failure on the part of his own party. Unfortunately, he switched into the tactic of misrepresenting his opponent’s position, using a lot of fear-mongering. He also ignored that much of what is wrong with this country is blatantly the fault of his own party. In short, he lied. Not little white lies to spare someone’s feelings or to preserve the peace. Big lies. For his own advantage. As I mentioned yesterday, this is un-Christian, and there is something very hypocritical that McCain and Palin are doing this when they are trying to pander to the most right-wing conservative Christians, people who should be the most offended by un-Christian behavior.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “The Olmert Monster”
- “Why Disasters Are Getting Worse” (Submitted by Barry.)
- “Bad Hair Day: Are Aerosols Still Bad for the Ozone Layer?”
- “Strange New Comet Explains Old Mystery”
- “Insect Attack May Have Finished Off Dinosaurs”
- “Fermilab physicists discover “doubly strange” particle”