Monday, September 29, 2008

29 ’Elul 5768: ‘Erev Ro’sh hashShanah

Greetings.

Worthy cause of the day: “Protest Unfair Pay for Women”.

I would like to note that starting this evening is Ro’sh hashShanah, the Jewish new year (or rather one of them; we have four).  Ro’sh hashShanah is the beginning of the Ten Days of Repentance, during which we are judged by YHWH.  As is appropriate at this time, I would like to apologize to anyone out there against whom I have sinned in the past year.  I am human and thus have human faults, such as being irritable at times or being too quick to judge, and thus I must humbly request forgiveness for my failings and strive to do better in the coming year.  And recognizing that my fellow humans are also imperfect, I extend my forgiveness to anyone who has sinned against me.  There are plenty of things wrong with this world, and there is no point in bearing a grudge over something that will not matter at all in the long term.

Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
  1. “What Is An “Islamophobe?””: In this article Brigitte Gabriel discusses Orwellian abuse of language in the terms “Islamophobe” and “Islamophobia”. The terms imply that anyone who hates Islam or Muslims is necessarily irrational and suffering from a psychological disorder, thus biasing argument against anyone opposed to Islam. In reality, people often do have something to rationally fear from Islam and Muslims; unlike most other major religious groups, Muslims have a nasty habit of reacting violently to any real or perceived opposition, especially when they have some political power.
  2. “Why Orthodox Youth Are Leaving the Fold”: Yes, there is a problem.  Thank you, Rav Boteach, for being honest and acknowledging it.
Today’s news and commentary:Today’s weird thing is the UniVirtual Slide Rule Emulator. Enjoy, share the weirdness, and happy new year.

Aaron

No comments: