Worthy causes of the day: “Main Street before Wall Street”, “Open White Spaces for Everyone”, and “Tell the government to protect sea turtles from trawls.”
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- “Mean girl”: There is a lot of dirt on Sarah Palin and her exploitative, un-Christian behavior in this article, but the item I want to discuss is:
Even though Palin knew that Stein is a Protestant Christian, from a Pennsylvania Dutch background, her campaign began circulating the word that she would be "Wasilla's first Christian mayor." Some of Stein's supporters interpreted this as an attempt to portray Stein as Jewish in the heavily evangelical community. Stein himself, an eminently reasonable and reflective man, thinks "they were redefining Christianity to mean born-agains."(Emphasis mine.) Palin is not alone in narrowing the definition of Christianity; a parody from a few years back, “Consumer report: Which religion is the best?”, considers Christianity and Catholicism to be two different religions. It should go without saying that the claim of Protestantism or one section thereof as the One True Claimant to the Name of “Christianity” is untenable. Everyone knows that historically Catholicism preceded Protestantism. Orthodox Christianity, Syriac Christianity, Coptic Christianity, and Ethiopian Christianity also preceded Protestantism. These older groups were what everyone referred to as Christianity long before Martin Luther. Therefore, claiming that any younger group is the “real” Christianity is an attempt at changing the definition of the term and not legitimate.
- “Beyond the Israeli-Palestinian problem”: This is historical background for the Jihad. Note that the real offense of the Jews behind the Arab-Israeli War is that the Jews refuse to live by the rules that Islam sets for them, that they should be helpless second-class citizens.
- “Happy New Year (1976)”
- “More Smears By Hari”
- “Exposed Untruths Continue to Shape Voter Impressions” (This is worrying.)
- “'I'm a PC' ad pictures made on a Mac” (Very ironic.)
- “German radio station to air show in Latin” (Yes, Latin is alive and well. If you do not know how scary this is, look over the Wikipedia articles “Latin grammar”, “Latin declension”, and “Latin conjugation”. And this is a language I am seriously thinking of working on for my Divine Misconceptions project after Ancient Greek due to it being the original language for some source materials and it periodically popping up in all manner of places, its big contender being Classical Arabic.)
- “Israel Unleashes First 'Skunk Bomb'”
- “Palin lawyer meets with investigator in probe” (Note the opening sentence: “Less than a week after balking at the Alaska Legislature's investigation into her alleged abuse of power, Gov. Sarah Palin on Monday indicated she will cooperate with a separate probe run by people she can fire.” (Emphasis mine.)) and “Palin's town charged women for rape exams”
- “Fish Gave Us the Finger” (Not what it sounds like.)
- “Where Have all the Gentleman Gone?”
- “Why the Oil Crisis Will Persist”
- This Modern World 2008-09-22