Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Crazy hoop to jump through to get employed

Greetings.

WARNING:  I AM ABOUT TO VENT.  IF YOU DO NOT ENJOY READING COMPLAINTS NOT RELEVANT TO YOU, PLEASE DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING AND READ SOMETHING FUN, SUCH AS A BOOK BY STANISLAW LEM, INSTEAD.

I just went through the worst job application form I have seen in a while.  Besides the standard stuff, there were two annoying extras.  The first was a self-evaluation of how I work, presented largely in nonspecific terms which have little to do with how I think about working.  There were also questions about my office ethics in there.  Considering that people are usually biased in their own favor, this sounds like an extraordinary opportunity for dishonesty.  The second annoying extra was an IQ test, a series of abstract puzzles where I had to figure out what geometric figure went with a set of other geometric figures.  Considering I have a PhD in science, I think this ought to be redundant.

If anyone out there reading this is in human resources, please hire me to tell you if and why your job application forms suck.

VENTING HAS ENDED.  MY APOLOGIES FOR ANY DISCOMFORT YOU MAY HAVE FELT DUE TO READING THE VENTING.

Oh, yeah:  The poll is over on Thursday.  Please vote before then on whether I should spin off a separate Divine Misconceptions blog.  Thank you.

Aaron

No comments: