Worthy causes of the day: “Stop the AIG Bonuses”, “Help us pass historic Wilderness bill!”, and “Support The Historic Bill to End Canada's Commercial Seal Hunt”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- A site I discovered recently which should prove useful for those interested in the Hebrew Bible: Tanakh Profiles. Info is given on all the named humans in the Hebrew Bible. Note, however, that all the names are given in the original Hebrew, even though the site is in English, so those who cannot read Hebrew names will be out of luck.
- “The war on "man-caused disasters"”: “Man-caused disasters” is a new double-edged term. On one hand, it is an accurate description of terrorism and jihad. On the other hand, the new term sounds a lot broader than “terrorism” and “jihad”. E.g., the financial crisis the United States is also a man-caused disaster, only not the sort intended by the new term. What gets lost in the new term is whom we are really fighting: all Muslims who participate in or support jihad. It is also noted that the new term is arguably sexist; women can cause disasters as well. Let us hope the new term “man-caused disasters” never catches on.
- “Globe dives into World Water Day”
- “New Particle Throws Monkeywrench in Particle Physics”
- “State of U.S. birds report is "'a clarion call to action"”
- “Global Warming May Lead to More West Nile Virus”
- “Drive to the airport, get clearance, and take off in your flying . . . car?”: Cool! Now when are we getting our mylar jumpsuits and domestic cleaning robots?
- “Pink elephant is caught on camera”: This is actually meant with reference to the physical world and not a hallucination brought on by inebriation.
- “AIG bonus outrage has employees living in fear”: I think most of us can agree that what AIG did to the economy was shameful and deserving of severe punishment. Do note, however, that this is a nation of laws. Our politicians are responding very well to the fact that next to nobody thinks that anyone at AIG with a hand in the financial disaster deserves a bonus; after all, our politicians want to stay in office, which is much easier with a happy constituency. As such, there is no cause for vigilantism; the people of AIG are going to get their comeuppance legally.
- “Global Wheat Crop Threatened by Fungus: A Q&A with Han Joachim Braun”