Worthy causes of the day: “Urge President Obama to Stand Up for Wolves”, “Stop Hospital "Superbug" Infections”, and “No, Former Vice President Cheney Was NOT A Law Unto Himself”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions: More countries having trouble with freedom of religion: “KAZAKHSTAN: 'This is not the end of the attempt to adopt such a law”, “Medvedev steers religions toward young people, but blocks Jehovah's witnesses”, “Sharia courts begin work in Swat Valley with restrictions on women”, and “Proposal at U.N. to criminalize 'defamation of Islam'”. That last one is not a joke: Pakistan wants to make it illegal across the planet to “defame” Islam, which includes any criticism whatsoever or noticing the rather obvious association of Islam with terrorism and human rights abuses. The text does refer to “defamation of religions” in general, too, but I will only consider the possibility that they are actually against defamation of religion in general when they stop scapegoating all non-Muslims, including the blatantly transparent claim of being anti-Zionist but not anti-Jewish.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “Land Day (1989)”
- “Canadian Medical Association Journal's Bad Medicine”
- “Poison? Nah: Algae that can tolerate arsenic discovered in Yellowstone National Park”
- “Meet the Smallest Frog in the Andes”
- “Acupuncture - Disconnected from Reality”
- “Chickens, Bacteria and Flies... Oh My”
- “Hawaii to pay farmers to grow endangered native species”