Jewish date: 3 Tammuz 5769.
Today’s holiday: Thursday of the Twelfth Week of Ordinary Time.
Today’s quasi-holiday: Log Cabin Day.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions: “It's about the women”: This is an interesting perspective on our moral behavior. Correctly noted is that the United States did not bother to do anything about the Taliban until 2001-09-11, despite their treating women in a way considered shocking in much of the rest of the planet. How women are being treated in Iran is simply being ignored in the news as unworthy of attention. People by now expect it to happen, and politicians are unlikely to do anything about matters people do not complain about. It should be noted that a lot of antidemocratic, anti-non-Muslim, and other behavior in the Muslim world which elsewhere would likely be considered immoral also gets a pass.
Today’s news and commentary:
- “The Streets of Tehran” and “Iranian Public Relations (1999)”
- “Chill Political Wind Threatens U.S.-Israel Relations”
- “Help wanted: A new project for your home computer to help beat HIV, Alzheimer's and other conditions”
- “Tools Are Body Parts to Brain”
- “Secrets of Space Blobs Revealed”: Great title, though not what it sounds like it might be.
- “Stone Age jams: Humans playing the flute for at least 35,000 years, no word yet on sax”
- “Ꮞ Ꮙ Ꮿ Was Here”
- “Big Health Firms Underpay Claims”: Everyone who is surprised, stand on your heads.
- “Lament In Oslo”