Jewish date: 18 Siwan 5769.
Today’s holidays: Wednesday of the Tenth Week of Ordinary Time, Feast Day of Basilides.
Worthy causes of the day: “Tell the EPA to create strong regulations for greenhouse gases”, “Will Dell & HP help China censor the Dalai Lama?”, and “Fix the U.S. Food Safety System Now!”
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- More religious intolerance (which never seems to stop; does it?): “Somali rage at grave desecration”, “UZBEKISTAN: Appeals by prisoners of conscience rejected”, “UZBEKISTAN: Enormous fines for religious activity continue”, “TURKMENISTAN: Conscientious objectors jailed”
- “The Muslim World”: This is a commentary on how Islam is treated differently from Christianity and Judaism, especially how it gets an unusual amount of respect.
- “Tuition crisis can be solved only with vouchers”: R. Boteach argues for school vouchers to make it easier for Jewish parents to send their children to religious day schools. I do not see this as a true separation of church and state issue. No one is advocating that children be forced to go to any religious day school against their parents’ will. Rather this helps give parents the choice of where to send their children for an education. It does seem unfair for parents to support public schools when their children are going to parochial schools.
- “West Bank Dictionary”
- “Guardian: The "So-Called Threat from Iran"”
- “Popular Giant Star Shrinks Mysteriously ”
- “One-fifth of us have lost sight of Milky Way”
(Yes, this based on an old song.) Enjoy and share the weirdness.