Jewish date: 25 Siwan 5769.
Today’s holidays: Wednesday of the Eleventh Week of Ordinary Time, Feast of Marvel “Jack” Parsons.
Today’s quasi-holidays: Watergate Day, World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought. (Intuition is suggesting that the United Nation gives its observances depressing names so that people avoid observing them and thus dealing with serious problems.)
Worthy causes of the day: “Tell Obama to Protect the Gulf Coast” and “Global Warming Action”.
Relevant to Divine Misconceptions:
- More intolerance: “Female teacher killed in Thai south”.
- I am late on posting on the latest episode of Kings, “Brotherhood”, which aired on Saturday night (inconvenient for me), but also viewable on the Internet (very convenient for me, except during thunderstorms). This one has a two-pronged plot. In prong one, David/Dawidh and Jack/Yonathan are sent into Gath to take out a terrorist called Belial. This name comes from the Biblical Hebrew term ben beliyya‘al, which translates roughly as “someone worthless”; the Qumran sect and Christians have interpreted beliyya‘al as the personal name of a demon. Going into combat against Belial is a bonding experience which helps move Jack away from the notion that David is a threat to him. They are not friends (as Dawidh and Yonathan were) yet, but they may get there by the end of the series. In prong two, Michelle/Mikhal, looking into her healthcare reform project, finds out that in the hospital are a mother and son sick with a plague. Besides being an opportunity for Michelle to engage in some noble self-endangerment, Silas/Sha’ul takes the plague as a sign that something is wrong with his administration—which he finds. (I will not spoil the surprise of who it is.) I am not getting the impression that the writers have a good grasp on how prophecy is supposed to work.
- I have gotten my hands on a copy of Bill Maher’s Religulous and expect to post a review of it soon. So far it lives down to its reputation.
- “the Great Negotiator”
- “Do People Want Freedom, Or Someone to Make their Decisions for Them?”
- “Armed Maine woman, 77, teaches intruder a lesson”: Don’t you hate it when you try to do something wrong and it goes horribly wrong for you?
Enjoy and share the weirdness.